Light Duty – Autos, Heavy Duty – Autos, Performance Vehicles
As a key member of our Electro Mechanical Engineering Department, you will identify and correct manufacturing problems associated with various tooling initiatives, as well as play a key role in the planning, estimating, design and building of safe assembly equipment.
* Designs: Tools, Nests, Fixtures and Machines for fabrication of components and error proofed assembly of mechanical/electrical products.
* Directs all tooling/engineering activities in the design and construction of new tools and modifying existing tools.
* Responsible for design review and follow up with tool builders to ensure tools meet required standards, as well as the quotation and implementation phases of equipment procurement and installation.
* Required to actively support factory tooling troubleshooting and root-cause analysis.
* Responsible for development of tooling and machines for the automated assembly of mechanical and electrical devices.
* Works directly with controls engineers, process engineers to coordinate resources and achieve deliverables with respect to machine design, machine build and controls systems.
* Selecting tooling materials and specifying heat treatment requirements.
* Training staff how to safely operate tooling and equipment.
* Handling other related functions as necessary.
Desired Skills and Experience
* To qualify, you must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, 10 years of tool design experience, and have at least 5 years experience in a 3D modeling environment.
* Knowledge of tool design principles related to manufacturing processes, and understanding of “Controls Principles” for the integration of mechanical, pneumatic, electrical and hydraulic systems will be expected, as will proficiency in the use of SolidWorks CAD software.
* Experience designing tools, jigs and fixtures for production and prototype programs, considering such factors as safety, ergonomics, quality, cost and schedule.
* Excellent oral/written communication, problem-solving, organizational, and PC skills are all essential.
Established in 1919 and traded on the NYSE, Standard Motor Products, Inc., (SMP®) is a leading independent manufacturer, distributor and marketer of replacement parts for motor vehicles in the automotive aftermarket industry, with an increasing focus on the original equipment and original equipment service markets.Organized into two major operating segments, SMP® supplies independent professional ...automotive technicians and do-it-yourselfers with high-quality replacement parts for engine management and temperature control products for domestic and import vehicles.We distribute through traditional and non-traditional channels under our own brand names, such as Standard®, BWD®, TechSmart®, Intermotor®, Hayden®, ACI®, Four Seasons®, and through private labels.